BAE Systems use Panasonic Toughpad tablets to help service Typhoon Jets
Bracknell, UK, 10 AUGUST 2015
Engineers at BAE Systems have begun to use Panasonic Toughpad tablets to offer a quicker, smarter and more intuitive way of servicing Typhoon jets, the world's leading combat aircraft.
The engineers at its Lancashire base are using the Panasonic Toughpad FZ-G1 tablet to complement the aircrafts' onboard health management systems. Before and after every sortie, the aircraft performs its own âhealth check' and presents a series of findings onto the Maintenance Data Panel, located on the side of the aircraft. Engineers analyse this information and conduct a series of checks, in parallel with the pilot's pre-flight cockpit checks, to ensure the aircraft is safe and fit for flight.
Typhoon and tablet technology
With the introduction of the latest Panasonic Toughpad tablet, BAE Systems engineers have developed an app that means the data displayed on the aircraft panel is analysed automatically so that the user is presented with a series of simple, colour coded icons, which at a glance confirms the missions the aircraft is fit to fly. This approach not only saves time on the ground but also provides information in real time and from multiple missions.
"We are constantly looking at how we can incorporate new technologies to enhance our products and this project is part of a programme of capability enhancements on Typhoon," said Shaun Waddington, Engineering Lead, at BAE Systems. "By linking together the latest tablet technology with a high performance aircraft we can deliver real benefit, saving time and reducing costs to Typhoon operators around the world."
BAE Systems provide some of the world's most advanced, technology-led defence, aerospace and security solutions and employ a skilled workforce of some 83,400 people in over 40 countries. The Typhoon gives air forces the capability to effectively deliver a full spectrum of air operations – from air policing and peace support, through to high intensity conflict, thanks to its inherent flexibility and adaptability.
"The BAE story is further evidence of how Panasonic Toughpad devices are helping businesses to transform the way they work," added Chris Turner, Defence and Government Business Manager for Panasonic Computer Product Solutions. "Through increased efficiency gains, Panasonic Toughpad tablets enable organisations to increase the quality of work and productivity of their mobile workers."
Unmatched durability for mobile workers
The fully rugged Toughpad FZ-G1 tablet with Windows 8.1 Pro sets the new benchmark for outdoor viewable tablets making it ideal for mobile workforces. With its capacitive, 10- finger multi-touch display and digitizer pen and flexible configurable ports this device can be used to view high definition documentation and images in the field whilst benefitting from connectivity options to ensure data is always available when needed. The flexible configuration port gives business users the legacy port options they require in a compact, fully rugged and lightweight form factor.
The Toughpad tablet FZ-G1 comes as standard with a high quality HD 720p front web camera and upgraded optional 5MP or 8MP rear camera with triple flash capability for clear document, asset or site photos whatever the light conditions.
Windows and customisable application keys on the front of the device assist workers in jumping to key apps and tools by just pressing one button. Using its Flexible Configuration Ports, the device can be configured exactly for the needs of the business, offering USB 2.0, Micro SDXC, True Serial port, LAN Connector, GPS, Barcode Reader and integrated smartcard reader optional. USB 3.0, BluetoothÂ® 4.0, HDMI and Wireless LAN capabilities are standard.
+ 44 (0) 118 949 7750
About Panasonic System Communications Company Europe (PSCEU)
PSCEU is the European branch of Panasonic Systems Communications Company, the global B2B division of Panasonic. PSCEU's goal is to improve the working lives of business professionals and help their organisations' efficiency and performance. We help organisations capture, compute and communicate all sorts of information: image, voice, and textual data. Products include PBX telephone switches, document printers, professional cameras, projectors, large visual displays, rugged mobile PCs and fire alarms solutions. With around 400 staff, engineering design expertise, global project management capability and a large European partner network, PSCEU offers unrivalled capability in its markets.
PSCEU is made up of four product categories:
- Communication Solutions, including professional scanners, multifunctional printers, telephony systems and SIP terminal devices.
- Visual System Solutions, including projectors and professional displays. Panasonic offers the widest range of Visual products, and leads the European projector market with 28% revenue share. (Futuresource B2B market tracking, Q1/2014)
- Professional Camera Solutions, including Broadcast & ProAV products, security, fire alarm systems and industrial medical vision (IMV) technology. Panasonic is one of the top two professional camera vendors in Europe.
- Computer Product Solutions helps mobile workers improve productivity with its range of Toughbook rugged notebooks, Toughpad business tablets and electronic point of sales (EPOS) systems. As European market leaders, Panasonic Toughbook had a 66.4% revenue share of sales of rugged and durable notebooks and Panasonic Toughpad held a 50.4% revenue share of sales of rugged business tablets in 2013 (VDC Research, March 2014).
- All brand names shown are the registered trademarks of the relevant companies. All rights reserved.
- All working conditions, times and figures quoted are optimum or ideal levels and may differ as a result of individual and local circumstances.
- Specifications, product availability and price given herein may be changed at any time without prior notice.